Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Diaper Cake

I've been privileged to host a couple baby showers at work. Not only did I make what has become my signature gift, so to speak, a really cute wall hanging, but I decided for my friend's Tricia and Peter Cisneros' shower that I wanted to do a fantastic centerpiece for their table. The quest for how to make the perfect diaper cake began and I scanned the web for the easiest and prettiest looking diaper cake. You must, absolutely must check out this website for super easy instructions.



After I constructed my cake, I put ribbon around where the rubber bands were and then hot glued wooden stars (that I had painted black and then painted a coat of glitter paint on them, all ahead of time of course). To the top I found a super cute ribbon pick at Target that worked perfectly. As you can see in the photo below I added additional green ribbon to the top of the cake. Nothing was ever hot glued to the actual diapers so that the cake could be deconstructed and used by the happy parents to be.

Helpful Tip: After cake is constructed leave the cake in the pan you used as your base for the largest "layer" of the cake or transfer to something else such as a heavy cardboard base. I used the original pan I shaped the first "layer" in. Pick up some tulle to wrap your entire cake up for easy transport and tie off with a bow. When I got it to the office I removed the tulle and flipped the base over so that the cake was raised higher on the table.

Some diaper cakes you see may have additional items included in them; ie. toys, bottles, etc. I wanted a nice clean look, especially as this wasn't your typical baby shower with shades of blue, pink, or yellow. I used Tricia's favorite colors, green and black!



Going along with the green/black baby shower, I searched online for something that would make this say baby shower without being too much. Card and Party Giant, http://store.cardandpartygiant.com/baby-shower-stroller-fun.html, had just the thing I was looking for. Although I could have ordered online, I chose to go to the store instead just to make sure the colors would work, and they did. I embellished baskets for each table with ribbon and stars and filled them with skittles and sour patch kids.


And here is the happy parents to be sans baby Lincoln. (Who is just so super cute!)



No comments:

Post a Comment